Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Bad Sculpting: A few things I have created for 3d Printing

 Over the last few years, I got into making and sometimes selling various 3d-printable creations. Usually I just create whatever I have a gaming need for, which I find pretty motivating, but sometimes I have done a few on commission or request. Here is a sample of some of my designs, most of which are still available for purchase at My Cults3d Store





Just today, I sculpted an Agridome for 6mm gaming, such as Battletech or Epic 40k. It didn't take me long, and it's pretty simplistic (I didn't see a lot of point going into a lot of detail for something less than 60mm in diameter anyway). I wanted it to be quick to print on resin 3d printers. I hadn't cracked open Blender (my 3d design software) in about a year, so this was the perfect project to kick off the dust.



Something more intricate, and pretty popular, is my design for a CSM backpack to upgrade regular CSM into sorcerers. It comes With some pretty heretical tomes, and the chains print very satisfyingly. This is one of the favorite things I have done, and I am glad it sells well, because it took me a VERY long time to get right.


Another project that took a considerable amount of time, my "Boneyards" set was technically successful on Kickstarter, but really struggled to make many sales. It includes a Dragon Lich, a prisoner, and a "Soul Anchor" gemstone, along with fossilized dinosaur/dragon remains and a collection of skull bases. Just a fun little project I had. Can you tell I like chains?


I believe I sold this guy separately at some point. A spectral being of some kind, this guy haunts around and can be used to proxy some popular wargame models that need ghostly wizards. Perhaps a forgotten priest or king in your RPGs, instead? I didn't have a lot of experience making a flowing type of miniature, and there are some design elements I am sure I got wrong, but it was a good try.






The above 3 pictures are examples of my most successful Kickstarter to-date, and also my first! I created a system of interlocking tiles (modeling that was hard, but I was not the first to do it this way so I basically just did it the same way). Where I wanted to differ is that I wanted to create the terrain, but have modular inserts that could be swapped out to modify what the hex represents. This is great for campaign maps. Currently, I only have a Fantasy Setting, but someday I hope to revisit the idea and make some more interesting inserts. 

I wasn't the first to do something like this, as GW had Planetary/Mighty Empires for years before I had the idea to make them into 3d tiles, but after I launched my Kickstarter it was great to see other people putting their own take on the idea. (Some of them did theirs way better than mine!) Maybe I just didn't notice them before I started, but I like to think I kicked off the inspiration?


My very first sculpted mini! I had envisioned a character, gripped by Nurgle's corrupting embrace, fashioning armor from rotting but magical sections of Sylvaneth wood. I didn't execute the vision I had very well, but for a first attempt at sculpting in blender, I hold this one dear to my heart.



That's it for today, I do have some more interesting projects but this post is already getting long! Stop by my Cults3d page linked at the top of this post to see what else I have available, and what little odd things I have been creating!

Until next time,
--Teun135

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER

This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited or Battlefront Miniatures.

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon,

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khorne, Kroot, Lord of Change, Necron, Nurgle, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Slaanesh, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Games Workshop, the Games Workshop logo, Epic, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Battlefleet Gothic, the Battlefleet Gothic logo, Necromunda, the Necromunda Plate logo, the Necromuinda Stencil logo, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, City of the Damned, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, the Blood Bowl Spike device, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Warmaster and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, Warhammer 40,000 universe and the Warhammer World are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Flames of war are either (R), TM and/or (C) Battlefront Miniatures.


Unless mentioned otherwise, the contents of this site are (C) Matt Darnell, 2008-2017