Friday, June 9, 2023

Revival?

 I've been away from this blog for a long time now.

Instagram was too easy. Too easy to post to. Too easy to see what others were working on, too easy to compare my painting to... too easy to get discouraged, take long breaks from the hobby, too easy to just quit altogether. 

So that's what I did for a while. I stopped participating in the hobby.


So what changed?

Well, I stumbled upon some of my ancient Battletech materials from my teenage years. It reminded me of what got me started in this hobby... some imagination, some rolling of dice, some fun! It didn't need to be "Tournament Legal" or "Tabletop Standard." It didn't even need to have miniatures... cardboard cutouts were good enough for teenager Teun. 

I didn't compare myself to anybody then because I was participating purely out of enjoyment. I grabbed Testor's enamel paints and sloshed a dirty camouflage scheme on a 'Mech, because I could! And because I wanted to!


With a new child in my life, times have changed a lot. I have a toddler to take care of again. But with some of those changes come some really fun things! Such as 3d printers. Using that technology, I get to play the game with miniatures I really love. 







My oldest son is almost grown. He grew away from playing tabletop games in favor of quick and easy video games, and I can relate. Recently, however, he took time out of his busy summer to play an introductory game of Battletech's most recent additional format: Alpha Strike. We had a blast! He is now taking command of his own company of mechs printed and painted by me.


Some things change, but some things stay the same. There is a comfort in that. 


And that is why, after so long, I am back. Maybe I'll stay, or maybe I'll quit posting again... who knows with me? But I'm doing it for me, and that will be enough.

--Teun

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER

This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited or Battlefront Miniatures.

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon,

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khorne, Kroot, Lord of Change, Necron, Nurgle, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Slaanesh, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Games Workshop, the Games Workshop logo, Epic, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Battlefleet Gothic, the Battlefleet Gothic logo, Necromunda, the Necromunda Plate logo, the Necromuinda Stencil logo, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, City of the Damned, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, the Blood Bowl Spike device, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Warmaster and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, Warhammer 40,000 universe and the Warhammer World are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Flames of war are either (R), TM and/or (C) Battlefront Miniatures.


Unless mentioned otherwise, the contents of this site are (C) Matt Darnell, 2008-2017