Monday, October 10, 2016

Paint it Black - My Watch Begins


I am finally ready to reveal my secret weekend-project.









I enjoy a challenge, from the hobby perspective. I like taking methods that most people find hard, and tackling them head-on. For this reason, Deathwatch (and many forms of black power armor) have always fascinated me. People say that black power armor is really hard to get right... I have always wanted to master it.

Back in 2010, I had a new Iphone 4 (fancy, at the time). I wasn't very good at photographing miniatures with it, however. But I posted this:

http://teun135miniaturewargaming.blogspot.com/2010/10/finally-we-have-photos-again.html

It contained my first forays into black armor (aside from a handful of Black Legion models that I sold off):





It also was my first foray into free-handed Chapter symbols. I would later use these skills in a lot of my work.

I used these guys as my Sternguard Veterans in my normal Space Marine armies. I thought it was thematic and cool that they would be the elite of the elite, having access to special gear and ammunition.

I visited the idea again years later, when I bought my first new tactical squad box in years... I wanted to perfect my execution of black power armor.





I think I nailed it... these guys looked good and were some of my best work to date. Many times, I'd get comments on how crisp these guys looked.

I was hooked. I wanted to keep painting black power armor.

Then I started playing Iron Hands. I liked their Feel No Pain, and their dour pragmatism. Their calculating logic. Their superior use of armor and mechanized warfare.

So I looked into playing them in 30k. I dabbled in 30k but the necessity of Forgeworld models made the price point a bit steep for me, so I swung back into 40k with Iron Hands. When Angels of Death came out, I finally had a reason to go whole-hog into Iron Hands. I sped up my technique (sacrificing a little bit of the crispness for a huge increase in speed and uniformity) and managed to finish an ENTIRE ARMY to a high standard in the course of a scant few months! Anybody who knows me also knows that I typically do not work this fast.



Now, in 2016, they came out with Death Masque. A new starter set, containing Watch Captain Artemis and his merry band of xenos-killers. Coupled with a new Deathwatch Codex, I finally have the tools and the hobby practice to undergo my most ambitious hobby challenge: A complete Deathwatch army.

This weekend I took my first steps toward that goal. I bought, built, and even have started to paint; the makings of my first entirely-independent Deathwatch Black Spear Strike Force.


I bought a trio of Razorbacks, and with the contents of Death Masque, I should have a good start to my Black Spear Strike Force. I also added a few newly-converted HQ units (see top of post) and I still have a squad or two of regular tactical marines to assemble with their new Deathwatch shoulder pads.

It's going to be a long road. But I feel like I am ready. I look forward to the work ahead... I think the end result will be spectacular and worth every ounce of effort.

--Teun

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER

This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited or Battlefront Miniatures.

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon,

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khorne, Kroot, Lord of Change, Necron, Nurgle, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Slaanesh, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Games Workshop, the Games Workshop logo, Epic, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Battlefleet Gothic, the Battlefleet Gothic logo, Necromunda, the Necromunda Plate logo, the Necromuinda Stencil logo, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, City of the Damned, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, the Blood Bowl Spike device, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Warmaster and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, Warhammer 40,000 universe and the Warhammer World are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Flames of war are either (R), TM and/or (C) Battlefront Miniatures.


Unless mentioned otherwise, the contents of this site are (C) Matt Darnell, 2008-2017