Sunday, October 13, 2013

Trying out a few new things

Test Scheme for UCM, Applied to a Battletech LRM Carrier

With my Dropzone miniatures due to arrive this week, I set about to deciding on a paint scheme for the vehicles. I was going to go with a simple olive-drab as is the standard for them, but I decided to go a step further and do a camouflage instead.

Steps I took:
1. Base color (olive drab)
2. Dark green large spots
3. Brown medium blobs
4. Light Brown / Tan small blobs
5. Highlight using base color mixed with a little bit of ivory (basically made the light brown / tan, could use this next time to save the trouble of mixing
6. Light wash of Devlan Mud brown (RIP, I should find an equivalent to try now that it has been discontinued.)

I had done black drybrushing to denote the carbon buildup from rocket exhaust, but I should have done it AFTER highlighting, in retrospect.

I also got to try the new phone's camera, which had a nice mix of features that endeared me to it. I was able to set the color balance, which is hugely convenient, and I was even able to edit it with a nice vignette which I like. Normally with my old phone's camera, I would have to edit it on the computer before being able to upload it... I am happy to be able to skip that step and edit it right when I take it, and have the color balance right as I take the photo.

I didn't pick out details, as this was only a test for the color scheme, but I think the UCM will look pretty decently done up in this scheme. I'll be sure to have cleaner highlighting lines on those, however!

Next up, I will be painting a stand of Heavy Gear infantry models to test the infantry theme. They are the closest equivalent in scale to DZC, so it should be a pretty accurate representation (I might even be tempted to proxy them if I feel so inclined).

Let me know what you think!

--FP135

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER

This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited or Battlefront Miniatures.

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon,

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khorne, Kroot, Lord of Change, Necron, Nurgle, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Slaanesh, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Games Workshop, the Games Workshop logo, Epic, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Battlefleet Gothic, the Battlefleet Gothic logo, Necromunda, the Necromunda Plate logo, the Necromuinda Stencil logo, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, City of the Damned, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, the Blood Bowl Spike device, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Warmaster and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, Warhammer 40,000 universe and the Warhammer World are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Flames of war are either (R), TM and/or (C) Battlefront Miniatures.


Unless mentioned otherwise, the contents of this site are (C) Matt Darnell, 2008-2017