Friday, April 16, 2010

My first step into professional painting

Sadly, I have no photographic evidence of this event, but last night I went to my local gaming store and landed my first painting commission! I was going to be there for several hours, but nobody had brought their 40k to play. So I was sitting there being bored, contemplating on whether or not I wanted to stay, when one of the newer players walked in with his brand-new AOBR set.

He had built his captain using a Jump pack instead of a normal pack. He had already decided that he wanted his space marines to be Ultramarine 2nd Company. He had come into the store to pay another local painter 20 dollars to paint the model. I didn't know that, but when I heard he was going to have the other painter do the job I offered to do it in his absence, if only to give me something to do instead of turning back for home. The player confessed that he was going to pay the guy, but I only insisted on him paying to rent the store paints and brushes so I could do the job while I was there, because I didn't know the next time I would be in town. He did that, and still compensated me for my time by a couple dollars. I was kind of shocked when he told me that he was intending on paying the other painter 20 dollars to have it painted, and I was saving him a bit of dough.

Maybe I should have charged $20.....

I spent 4.5 hours painting it in the store, with the player giving me constant input. The result was a model that he carried around the shop, proudly showing anybody who would look. That in itself was a pretty good compensation, because I was a bit flattered that he thought so highly of the job I did.

Next time I'm taking my camera, just in case.

Is this a step forward for me? Does this mean I am finally crossing over the threshold from amateurism into professionalism? I suppose only time will tell.

Until next time,
--FP135

2 comments:

  1. I would be lucky if someone paid me 20 Cents to paint a mini! LOL

    All kidding aside, congrats on the commission. From the work you have post pictures of, I am sure the piece was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you! Long may the trend (and the resultant kudos) continue!

    - Drax.

    ReplyDelete

DISCLAIMER

This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited or Battlefront Miniatures.

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon,

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khorne, Kroot, Lord of Change, Necron, Nurgle, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Slaanesh, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Games Workshop, the Games Workshop logo, Epic, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Battlefleet Gothic, the Battlefleet Gothic logo, Necromunda, the Necromunda Plate logo, the Necromuinda Stencil logo, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, City of the Damned, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, the Blood Bowl Spike device, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Warmaster and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, Warhammer 40,000 universe and the Warhammer World are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Flames of war are either (R), TM and/or (C) Battlefront Miniatures.


Unless mentioned otherwise, the contents of this site are (C) Matt Darnell, 2008-2017