Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Mid-Week Ramble: Model claustrophobia?

Lately you may have noticed a trend in my posts: they are dealing with games that involve a very low model count.

I appreciate the game of 40k, I do find it enjoyable, but the slow erosion of points in the codexes is forcing me to keep expanding my collections with every new codex release of one of the armies I have. For instance, I had a nice little list of Tyranids based on Space Hulk 'stealers with a couple of carnifexes... The rumors are that the cost of units have been so reduced, that they probably will not even cover half of a standard 1500 point list now. So, I am forced to buy more models.

It was the same way with the Guard. Infantry were just so freaking cheap, I had to buy more models. Now, this was mainly my fault because I got pulled into that codex for the awesome tanks. I love a good tank.

OK, now to my point: Where do you draw the line, and say "I'm not going to buy any more models for a while"? I just finished buying the models that I hope will bring my Tyranid force up to legal standards in the 1500 point range (a hive tyrant to replace the broodlord that was normally my HQ option, and 2 boxes of gaunts) and it cost me just under a hundred dollars. Can I expect this every time a new codex gets released for one of my armies? What about my Blood Angels, which are my largest force (running around 3700 points if you include my papercraft warhound titan)? What kind of devilry can I expect from GW to nerf my units and force me to buy more?

It was kind of sad, for those of you that remember my first Apocalypse battle report, to see the number of IG infantry desperately trying to fit in their deployment zone. That wasn't even all the infantry, either! I had forces in reserve, and they still didn't want to fit without being packed like sardines!

This sinking feeling is what encouraged me to start seeking alternative ways to stay immersed in the 40k universe. I think I finally hit something with Dark Heresy RPG, as it deals with few, if any, models. I am also having quite a bit of fun converting models that have individual flavor, for use with the game. Since I frequently spend my free time on the computer anyway (mainly due to time constraints or the inconvenience of dragging out all my modeling and painting supplies), I have found it a fun hobby to pour some creative energy into. I can write scenarios, game aids, or player handouts and save my work right in the middle if something else demands my attention. It makes it pretty easy to manage my time.

So does anybody else have similar feelings? Does anybody else dread playing their favorite armies, just because their model counts have climbed so high? This is why my main force is Mechanized IG, because I just can't stand moving all those infantry anymore.

Who knows, maybe GW is planning on movement trays for 6th edition.

--FP135

1 comment:

  1. Nothing prevents you playing lower points value games.

    Personally I am enjoying 1k games these days, as the model count is much closer to when I originally started the game (yeah, right back at the beggining)

    on a related note, if they dont stop the creep, they are going to have to change up the Forge Organisation charts, as at 1500 it's very easy nw to run out of FO slots before you run out of poins.

    ReplyDelete

DISCLAIMER

This web site is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited or Battlefront Miniatures.

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon,

Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khorne, Kroot, Lord of Change, Necron, Nurgle, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Slaanesh, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Games Workshop, the Games Workshop logo, Epic, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Battlefleet Gothic, the Battlefleet Gothic logo, Necromunda, the Necromunda Plate logo, the Necromuinda Stencil logo, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, City of the Damned, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, the Blood Bowl Spike device, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Warmaster and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, Warhammer 40,000 universe and the Warhammer World are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2016, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Flames of war are either (R), TM and/or (C) Battlefront Miniatures.


Unless mentioned otherwise, the contents of this site are (C) Matt Darnell, 2008-2017